The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency have announced that the UK driving test is changing from Monday 4th December 2017. The changes are being made to ensure new drivers have the necessary skills for safe driving.
There are 4 changes that are being made & they are listed below
1. The Independent driving section of the test will increase from 10 minutes to 20 minutes where candidates will drive without directions from the examiner.
2. Sat nav directions for four out of five tests. The examiner will provide and set up the sat nav with the route set. Questions can be asked to the examiner and you wont be penalised for going the wrong way providing no faults are made.
3. Manoeuvres are changing – Candidates will no longer be tested on ‘turn in the road’ or ‘reversing around a corner’ however will be asked to complete one of 3 reversing manoeuvres – Parallel park, park in a bay or pull up on the right hand side of the road & reverse 2 car lengths and re-join the traffic.
4. Two ‘Show me, tell me questions’ will be asked. The ‘Tell me’ question will be asked before you start driving and will be on how to carry out certain safety tasks. The ‘show me’ question will be asked whilst driving and will again be based around safety tasks such as how to use the heated windscreen or washer jets.
The pass mark will stay the same so no more than 15 driving faults and no serious or dangerous faults. The cost is also going to say the same, with the time of driving remaining at 40 minutes.
The changes are being made as the DVSA advises that:
• Most fatal collisions happen on high-speed roads (not including motorways) - changing the format of the test will allow more of these types of roads to be included in driving test routes
• 52% of car drivers now have a sat nav - DVSA wants new drivers to be trained to use them safely
• Research has shown that new drivers find independent driving training valuable - they can relate it to driving once they’ve passed their test.
Transport minister Andrew Jones believes the measures will help save lives.
“We have some of the safest roads in the world, but we are always looking to make them safer,” he said.
“These changes announced today will help reduce the number of people killed or injured on our roads and equip new drivers with the skills they need to use our roads safely.
“Ensuring the driving test is relevant to the 21st century, for example the introduction of sat navs will go a long way towards doing this.”
* All vehicle images and car descriptions on this site are for illustration and reference purposes only and are not necessarily an accurate representation of the vehicle on offer.
T: 01772 728000
F: 01772 727755
Cameron Clarke Leasing Limited
Nelson Court Business Centre
Cameron Clarke Leasing Limited are a credit broker and not a lender, we are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered No : 684876
Registered in England & Wales with company number : 04921539 | Data Protection No : Z2398334 | VAT No : 991709774
Registered Office : Cameron Clarke Leasing Ltd, c/o CAS Ltd, Georges court, Chestergate, Macclesfield, Cheshire
Copyright © 2018 Cameron Clarke Leasing Limited, All rights reserved.